All qualified students will be awarded financial aid, if financial aid funds are available. South Arkansas Community College does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation in making decisions regarding employment, student admission, or other functions, operations, or activities. The Financial Aid Office provides information and assistance in completing applications. To receive federally funded financial aid and some other financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enroll as regular students in an approved degree or certificate program, meet citizenship requirements, demonstrate financial need, and maintain satisfactory academic progress. In addition, students must not be in default on any student loan program or Stafford Loan or owe a refund on a Pell Grant, SEOG, or state aid.

The majority of financial aid programs offered at South Arkansas Community College are need-based; however, a number of institutional scholarships are based on academic achievement and merit. Students must reapply for financial aid every year. For all financial aid, enrollment is calculated as of the eleventh (11th) class day of the semester for fall and spring semesters and the fifth (5th) class day for summer semester.

Return of Title IV Funds

If a student receiving Title IV funds withdraws or stops attending on or after the first day of class during the period of enrollment for which they were charged, the College must determine the amount of the Title IV funds students have earned. This calculation is done in accordance with Federal Title IV guidelines. If students have not been in attendance long enough to earn all of the awarded aid, they may have to repay some of the unearned aid. Copies of SouthArk’s Return of Title IV Funds policy are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Allocation of Refunds and Overpayments
Allocation of Refunds and Overpayments
If a student who received Title IV Assistance (other than assistance under the Federal Work Study Program) is owed a refund or if a student who received Title IV Assistance (other than assistance under the Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Loan, Federal PLUS, Federal SLS, Federal Direct Stafford, or Federal Direct PLUS Programs) must repay an overpayment, the institution shall allocate that refund and any overpayment collected from the student in the following order:
  1. Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan
  2. Subsidized Federal Direct Loan
  3. Federal PLUS Loan
  4. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  5. Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  6. Federal Direct PLUS Loan
  7. Federal Perkins Loan
  8. Federal Pell Grants
  9. Federal SEOG
  10. Other assistance awarded under programs authorized by Title IV
  11. Federal, State, private, or institutional assistance to the student