Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

First-time applicants need to complete VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance). Dependents or spouses of 100 percent VA-rated disabled or deceased veterans should provide a copy of their birth certificates or marriage licenses when applying to facilitate processing by the VA.

Transfer students, or students changing their degree objectives after receiving Chapter 35 benefits, need to complete VA Form 22-5495 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).